SEASONAL FACILITIES SPECIALIST
Retreat Farm is seeking a self-starting, focused, hard-working individual to help manage our historic barns and grounds.
The Facilities Specialist will report to the Facilities Director and will be responsible for taking on and overseeing various hands-on projects, including lawn and building maintenance, carpentry, and event setup. His or her work will serve the business as a whole, and directly impact the growth and success of our restoration, education, and event programs.
Our Farm is a fast-paced environment where we strive for quality and efficiency. The Facilities Specialist should be personable and a good communicator. Energetic, self-motivated and detail-oriented, he or she must be able to keep up with the brisk pace of our projects and take pride and ownership over the beauty and functionality of our site. The Facilities Specialist must be able to work outside in all weather and lift heavy loads repeatedly. The job will require the use of power tools and occasional heavy machinery including lawn equipment.
We are looking for a candidate who is willing to commit to a full-time job, 40 hours a week, with weekend and evening availability. This is a seasonal position ending August 30, 2018, with the possibility for year-round employment.
● Day-to-day maintenance and appearance of barns, office, and grounds
● Lawncare including mowing, weed whacking, raking, seeding, and fertilizing
● Grounds maintenance including chainsaw work, brush saw, trail maintenance, and trash removal
● Support restoration projects across the Farm including carpentry, painting, and cleaning
● Regular event setup and breakdown
● Support Farm and program operations including livestock handling, portable fencing, and other farm tasks
● Basic use of power tools
● Self-driven, eager to solve problems and take on new challenges
● Adept at working alone and in teams
● Comfortable working outdoors
● Experience operating heavy machinery a plus
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
● Is energetic, eager to learn, and has a great work ethic
● Loves working outdoors in any weather
● Is organized and professional, and a good communicator
● Is able to work independently and be very self-motivated
● Is punctual and time efficient
● Is able to lift 50 lbs repeatedly, and to squat, kneel, bend over, and reach for extended periods of time
● Takes pride in making things functional and beautiful
About Retreat Farm
Established in 1837, the original Retreat Farm was a working and therapeutic farm serving patients at the nearby Brattleboro Retreat. A prominent feature of the region for 180 years, the Farm today encompasses 500 acres of conserved forests, farmlands, trails, and waterways, and an historic nine-structure Farmstead. Retreat Farm sits adjacent to downtown Brattleboro, a gateway to Vermont and the geographic center of New York and New England.
The nonprofit Retreat Farm, Ltd. was formed in 2015 to restore the lands and structures and establish a vibrant program of education, stewardship, and community gatherings. By connecting people to the land and one another, Retreat Farm is helping to ensure a healthy future for the region.
By creating a place that shares the joys of farming and healthy food, meaningful experiences in nature, and cultural celebrations that bring people together, we are strengthening the physical health of individuals, the social bonds of families and communities, and the economic vitality of the region. In everything we do, we strive to create nourishing, authentic opportunities to learn, play, and grow — strengthening our community ties and fostering a deep appreciation of the land, farmers, and animals that nourish us.
To be considered please email a resume and cover letter expressing your interest in Retreat Farm to email@example.com.
Retreat Farm is an equal opportunity provider and employer. We strongly encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds.