We are looking for a dynamic, hardworking farmer to assist with the development and daily operations of our new educational farm. The Children’s Farm and Forest will feature a variety of animals on pasture, a children’s garden and eventual greenhouse, pollinator beds, native perennial landscaping and berry crops, a new nature trail, and a hands-on educational experience aimed at connecting visitors to the working landscape.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide a welcoming, engaging presence throughout the Children’s Farm and Forest.
- Lead farm activities and educational workshops for a range of public audiences.
- Help clean program areas and education spaces daily.
- Uphold excellent guest services at all times.
- Work with rotational pasture system for a variety of Children’s Farm animals.
- Help build fencing, animal watering, composting and manure management systems.
- Assist with garden tasks.
- Participate in daily animal care and chores and clean animal pens.
- Provide around-the-clock on-call support in coordination with Farm Director.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience working with livestock and horticultural crops.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a dynamic and highly collaborative environment.
- Experience with and safe operation of agricultural equipment.
- Willingness to be on-call for farm related emergencies.
- Flexibility, enthusiasm, good communication skills, and the willingness to learn.
- Valid First Aid and CPR Certification (training provided).
- Able to lift 50 lbs.
- Able to move over uneven terrain.
- Comfort working with large animals.
- Outdoor work environment with varied weather conditions.
- Weekend work required in coordination with Farm Director.
This is a full time, seasonal position, with the possibility of extension. Housing is provided.
Please email a letter of interest, resume, and 3 reference contacts to Lu Neuse, Program Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Retreat Farm is an Equal Opportunity Employer.